Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Beating the Heat

Morgan and I got back from our Flagstaff/Woods Canyon Lake trip yesterday. It was a lot of fun.
The first night we were there we went to our friend's birthday party/dinner. We ate at Cafe Ole, which was pretty delicious. Pitchers of prickly pear, mango, strawberry, and house margaritas kept showing up, the food was great, and, despite there being 18-20 people in the party, the bill was settled without incident (most amazing part).


The Zoes Celebrate

Saturday we went to one of my favorite places: the Lamar Haines Memorial Wildlife Area.








"cabin for shorties"

Saturday night we met Emmett and some friends out at Mia's, but turned in on the early side. Sunday we headed to Woods Canyon Lake to camp. We walked down to the lake from our campsite and talked to this guy Phillip, whose job it was to monitor a baby bald eagle. We got to look at the eagle in his scope, and then when I said I had never been in a canoe, he took me out for a ride.



I kind of want to own a canoe now! Morgan and I made some delicious meals, which is one of my favorite parts of camping.





After dinner we sat around the fire, chatting and then listening to a part of a Howard Stern show on Sirius. That night, it was the most perfect temperature outside for tent sleeping, but I had trouble because I kept thinking about that news story I heard recently about the kid who got ripped from his tent and eaten by a bear. I really needed coffee in the morning to jump start my Monday!



Overall it was a great weekend and I'm glad we got to be outside so much. I should visit Flagstaff and camp more often.





5 comments:

  1. looks like fun! morgan has a medium format camera?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, wish I could have gone, but needed the hours at work. Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison, he actually owns more than one! He is selling one of them on ebay that he doesn't use anymore as we speak. He got his B.S. in Photography at NAU.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why would you want to go camping more often if you are afraid you are going to be eaten by bears?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two words for you Morgan: Bear Spray! I need to get some of that.

    ReplyDelete